Science Learning At-Home & Outside
Check out our Youtube channel for educational videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/cacskachemak
Easy Activity Sheets for Outdoor Learning
Most of these activity sheets are intended for K-6 learners, though could be adapted for use with older students.
- Bishops Beach intertidal id cards
- Winter Forest Scavenger Hunt
- Winter Beach Scavenger Hunt
- Forest Bingo-Spruce Bark Beetle
- Forest Bingo-Habitat Focus
- Forest Bingo-Plant Uses
- Forest Excursion--Habitat Focus
- Forest Excursion-Plant Uses
- Forest Excursion-Spruce Bark Beetle
- Forest Scavenger Hunt-Habitat Focus
- Forest Scavenger Hunt-Plant Uses
- Forest Scavenger Hunt-Spruce Bark Beetle Focus
- Intertidal Scavenger Hunt
- Intertidal Scavenger Hunt-Young Kids
- Bio-Rings Activity - For this activity, create a wire ring approximately 2 feet in diameter, a 1 foot by 1 foot square out of PVC pipes, or use a hula hoop!
- Wilderness ER and Medicinal Plants-Matching Activity-For this activity, have kids match the relevant medicinal plant(s) with the wilderness ER scenario. If possible, go outside to search for the plants or collect small samples.
- Macroinvertebrates-Forests and Freshwater - This activity is best done in late spring, summer, or fall. Use small fish-tank nets to scoop macroinvertebrates from freshwater. Collect samples of soil and organic matter from the forest floor. If you place these samples in a funnel (or plastic bottle cut in half, with the lid off) and shine a light at the top of the sample for a few hours the macroinvertebrates will tend to crawl out the bottom of the funnel. Put a jar there to collect them. Don't forget to check the funnel regularly, since being under the light for a long time can stress the macroinvertebrates, and treat the macroinvertebrates with respect! Return the macroinvertebrates and samples to where you collected them when you are finished.
- Tracking in Alaska-ID sheets
Lesson Plans for Science & Stewardship
Most of these lessons are intended for upper elementary or middle school, though some can be adapted for younger or older learners.
- Sound Mapping
- March Equinox Science, Engineering, Nature Observation & Art Activities
- Invent an Invertebrate
- Scientific Sketching
- Skit Night Review - if you do this activity, we'd love to see videos of the skits you come up with!
- Short Marine Games & Activities
- Short Forest Games & Activities
- Feed the Whales
- Plankton Races
- GLOBE Weathering Monitoring
- Density Differences-Air
- Density Differences-Water
- Coriolis & Currents
- Pressure & Storms
- Intertidal Discovery Hike
- Counting Beads and Bobbles (practice for beach sampling)
- Be a Beach Steward
- Ocean Acidification Lab
- CoastWatch Survey
- Stations-Effects of Marine Debris on Ecosystems
- Graphing Marine Debris
- Marine Debris Masks-Cardboard or Plaster
- Predicting the Path of Marine Debris
- Upcycle Marine Debris Hats
- Oreo Geology